Our saturday breakfast is fixed. It is either Idli Dosa or Idli Dosa or finally Idli Dosa :-) But this weekend somehow I forgot to make the usual batter. Still wanted to have idli only, so thought of making quick rava idli. To make it nutritious, I added vegetables to it, which made it healthier and tasty too. My first encounter with rava idli was in Banglore restaurant, where they serve it with some creamy yellow color gravy (Not remembering what they call it). They used to serve giant size rava idli and even 1 rava idli is enough to satisfy your hunger. To maintain the nutritional value of the vegetables I hopped them finely and steam them only once while making the idli. Cooking vegetables short and fast helps in maintaining their nutritional value.
- 2 Cup rava or semolina or suji
- 1 Cup finely chopped vegetables (carrot, french beans, peas, capsicum)
- 1-2 tsp fruit salt
- Oil (for tempering and greasing the idli dish)
For tempering you need:
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- Few curry leafs
- 1 tsp chopped green chillies
- 7 - 10 Broken cashews
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Put all the tempering items in the pan and fry till light brown.
- Then add rava and fry till light brown.
- Then take this rava in a separate bowl and add vegitables, salt, curd and make a thick batter.
- One the other side take idli container or pressure cooker and put 1/2 glass in it and boil it.
- Once water starts boiling, put fruit salt in the batter and mix nicely and put it in the greased idli stand.
- Now place it in the boiling water and cook for 7-10 mins as we do for normal rice and lentil idlis.
- Add fruit salt at the end.
- Make thick batter.
- If using cooker for making idli, then remove the whistle or weight.
My this preparation goes to Divya's Show me your Breakfast & EFM-June-Breakfast-Series of Me and My Kitchen.